I have lived in New York for almost a year now, but having arrived at the end of June last year, much of our time was spent sorting out our new home and life in the Big Apple. This summer I am intending to make the most of things and experience as much as I can. Here are some of the things on my hit list over the coming months!
1. Experience Manhattenhenge, the most amazing sunset between the avenues and skyscrapers in NYC! The dates in May were a bit cloudy for that perfect sunset, so I am holding out for the July dates instead (July 12th & 13th FYI).
2. Visit as many rooftop bars as possible…having a drink above the city is one of the nicest things to do in NYC during the summer, with some amazing views! I have previously visited Rare Rooftop, 230 Fifth Ave & The Gansevoort Park Ave. On my to-do list are The Standard, The Kimberly and STK.
3. Visit A Salt & Battery in the West Village for proper British Fish and Chips, a summer favorite!
4. Walk along the Brooklyn Bridge and visit Smorgasburg on a Sunday for the best food markets in town!
5. Go to an open air film showing in Bryant Park – starts June 22nd!
6. Take William to Central Park Zoo and have a picnic in the park when we are done. We visited the Bronx Zoo last year and it was amazing, so would love to check out the zoo in Central Park this summer.
7. Go to at least one NYC museum, I’m a bit rubbish with museums but would like to visit the MoMA to see the Andy Warhol exhibition which is on this summer. (It is free to visit on Friday evenings 4-8pm).
8. Walk the High Line (an old railway which is now converted to an elevated park) again and chill out with an ice cream above the city.
9. Have a boat trip around the city. I last went in December to see the Statue of Liberty when my parents were here, but it was absolutely freezing, so I would like to sail around in the sunshine this time!
10. Go to a Yankees game. I’m not really into baseball, but would love to experience the game and the atmosphere at least once. Hot dogs and foam fingers all round!
Obviously there are so many more things that I would love to do, and have a massive list of restaurants I would love to eat in as well. This is just a little bit of inspiration if you are looking for something to do whilst in NYC this summer.
If you have any more recommendations of things I should do, please let me know in the comments below!
Come and join me!