I first came to NYC during the holiday season in 2009, and I’ll never forget how magical it felt. There is something about walking throughout the streets of Manhattan at Christmas time that ignites a little sparkle in your soul. From the decorated windows, to the ice rink at Central Park, to the famous Rockefeller Christmas tree, there is definitely lots to see and do. I never really experienced Christmas in NYC last year as I gave birth to my little girl so didn’t really get into the city much, so this year there is so much that I really want to experience, I cannot wait!
My Bucket List
- Take a trip up Fifth Avenue to look at all the lights and holiday window displays at Bergdorf Goodmans, Saks and Lord & Taylor (Macy’s too at Herald Square). I love the giant snowflake they have there every year too!
- Go and see the tree at the Rockefeller Centre. This really is a must-do if you are in NYC over the holidays, it is so big and really does give your that Christmas cheer. It stays until January 7th, so there is plenty of time to see it!
- There are a few Christmas themed restaurants/bars in the city which I have been dying to go to Rolfs, a German restaurant near Gramercy Park is the most famous and has elaborate holiday decorations floor to ceiling, it looks amazing and is sure to get you in the holiday mood!
- Enjoy a hot chocolate whilst Christmas Shopping. The City Bakery on 19th Street is meant to have the best with their giant floating marshmallows!
- Take a stroll through the West Village to look at all the festive decor, everyone decorates their houses so tastefully with wreaths and garlands, so great for Christmas inspiration.
- Have a drink at The Boathouse in Central Park. There are log fires burning in the lounge, and with a view over the lake in Central Park, there is such a cozy festive atmosphere to chill out in.
- Little Italy is meant to have the best holiday decorations and lights and I love the area, so am really looking forward to checking them out, probably stopping for a slice of pizza or two! There is even a Christmas shop here called ‘Its Always Christmas In New York’, (which is actually open year round), which should be great for a decoration or two!
- If we get chance, I would love to take the kids to the Bronx Zoo again as they decorate the place with holiday lights, it is meant to be really beautiful.
- Go ice skating in Central Park. We did this last year on a cold, sunny winters day back in February, and although I resembled Bambi on ice, it was amazing to skate around taking in all the sights of Manhattan!
- I love checking out all the beauty shops at Christmas time as I get so excited for the holiday collections. I love to visit the individual boutiques like Diptyque, Nars and Jo Malone along Bleecker Street, as well as Aesop, Space NK and Birchbox in Soho. There are so many great products out at this time of year, that you’ll never come out empty handed!
I hope I get most of these checked off my list this year, I love this time of year, so am going to try and make the most of it before it is all over for another year! I will be updating my Instagram with everything I do in the city over the holidays, so please follow to see what I have been up to!
If you have any other recommendations, please feel free to leave them in the comments below.